The transfer of the Khufu First Boat is a significant archaeological event which Egypt will witness during the coming period. Therefore, the preparation for the Transfer of the Khufu First Boat is that important. The process will include transferring the first Khufu boat from the Giza Pyramid Complex to the Grand Egyptian Museum. This transfer process will use the intelligent, remote-controlled vehicle to transport the boat as a whole, considering protecting and securing it while moving.
First Experiment of Efficiency
In preparation for the transfer of the Khufu First Boat, the work team at the Grand Egyptian Museum conducted, during the last period, the first experiment to test the efficiency of the performance of the vehicle designated for the transfer of the first Khufu boat to ensure the safe arrival of the boat, which met with the critical success.
They discussed the latest archaeological and engineering procedures and equipment needed to conduct a final simulation experiment to transfer King Khufu’s first boat from its current location in the Giza Pyramids area to its permanent display at the Grand Egyptian Museum during the next few weeks.
The discussion came during a meeting held on the morning of 17.06.2021, chaired by Dr Khaled El-Anany, Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, with Major General Atef Moftah, supervisor of the project of the Grand Egyptian Museum and the surrounding area, Dr Mostafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, and Dr El-Tayeb Abbas, Assistant Minister for Archaeological Affairs at the Museum. And several museum leaders to follow up on developments in the works at the Grand Egyptian Museum.
The meeting also discussed the latest developments in the archaeological and engineering work in the museum and the file of providing and operating services there.
Transfer of the Khufu First Boat Procedures
Major General Atef Moftah, General Supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum, explained that this is the first experiment in a series of experiments that the engineering and archaeological team from the museum, in cooperation with the Supreme Council of Antiquities, will take to ensure the safe arrival of the boat.
Also, he pointed out that the transfer process will be carried out by an intelligent remote-controlled vehicle specially brought in from Belgium to transport the ship in one piece after protecting and securing it while moving.
He added that the experiment aims to test the efficiency of the vehicle and its endurance capabilities during the process of moving on the various axes of the roads up and down, in addition to knowing the extent of its ability to manoeuvre in curves and height differences of the streets. It carries weights similar to the importance of the boat, and a model of its protective metal structure, with the same length and width.
Major General Atef Moftah stressed that the experiment proved its success and the ability and efficiency of the intelligent car to complete the transportation process successfully, as the car’s balance. Also, they fully ensure the safety and stability of the metal structure while walking and on curves and the efficiency and security of the roads.
He said that the boat had been separated from the current museum building. After completing the remaining engineering works, the ship and the metal structure have become part of the preparation for the final transfer process.
The most important information about the transfer of the first Khufu boat
- The transfer of the first Khufu boat from the pyramids area to the Grand Egyptian Museum is the event that the world will witness in the coming weeks.
- The Khufu boat is one of the sun boats, the largest surviving organic monument in history.
- Transfer from the pyramids area to the Grand Egyptian Museum will occur amid a simple celebration without a procession.
- Finishing the boat’s hull protection with a wooden structure in preparation for its transfer to the Grand Egyptian Museum.
- The preparation of the Khufu’s first boat for transport was completed, with the chassis firmly fixed around the boat’s hull to protect and preserve it during the transport process.
- The first Khufu boat will be moved to its new display place inside a museum equipped to display the sun boats at the Grand Egyptian Museum.
- The transport will be carried out using a vehicle designated for the first Khufu boat transfer.
- The vehicle, used for intelligent remote-controlled transport.
- It was specially brought from Belgium to transport the boat in one piece.