- Location of Safaga City
- History of Safaga
- Administrative Divisions of the City
- Safaga Attractions
- Safaga Activities
- History-Related and Sightseeing Activities in Safaga
- Snorkelling Activities in Safaga
- Diving Activities in Safaga
- Fishing Activities
- Sea-Related Activities in Safaga
- Water Sports Activities in Safaga
- Desert Safari Activities
- Horse Riding Activities in Safaga
- City Touring Activities in Safaga
- Beauty and Wellness Activities
- Entertainment and Fun Activities in Safaga
Location of Safaga City
History of Safaga
The modern city’s history dates back to the early twentieth century AD and was discovered by the Englishman Craxon during the British occupation of Egypt, as he was seeking to find minerals in the city for commercial exploitation. The town is a specialist in diving training. It is the shortest route between Saudi Arabia and Egypt, as the cruise between Safaga port and Duba port takes eight hours, and it is the closest Red Sea city to the Nile Valley governorates. The town contains pharaonic monuments dating back four thousand years. The city is a vast seaport where vessels unload wheat, goods, and aluminium cargo.
Administrative Divisions of the City
- Sahel Hasheesh is the northern part of the city.
- Makadi Bay.
- Soma Bay.
- Also, Port Safaga is the city centre and the old part of the city. It is divided administratively into two main villages:
- Umm Al-Huwaitat Village: It is located on the southwestern side of the city, twenty-six kilometres away from it. Mountains surround it, and many phosphate mines characterise it.
- Al-Nasr Village: It is located on the Safaga-Qena road, and most of its inhabitants are indigenous desert dwellers.
Makadi Bay District
The luxurious resort of Makadi Bay sets in a stunning natural bay on the red sea coast. Indeed, this bay is one of the most exquisitely beautiful places one can visit. Also, the place is famous for sandy beaches suitable for swimming and snorkelling. Hotels are studded with the site so that you can choose from over 20 hotel complexes located directly on the sandy beach. Makadi Bay district notably offers tranquillity and peace of mind to all tourists like no other town in Egypt. This area is a beautiful beach getaway destination on the Red Sea Riviera -one of the fantastic districts of Safaga city.
Safaga City is an ideal resort to spend time on. It exists on the coast of the Red Sea, and a vast desert surrounds it. This city has yearlong sunshine, incredible beaches and crystal-like seawater. In addition, it has countless exciting attractions to explore.
For ideas, see our list of the top tourist attractions and places to visit in Safaga:
- Utopia Island.
- Sharm El-Naga is considered one of the most popular diving sites. It is characterised by many fiery coral reefs and a shallow helicopter situated only four meters. It is also distinguished by various fish, seashells, octopus, coral reef fish species, and Sharm El Naga Beach.
- Clay Bay. Safaga seaport is located on the western coast of the Red Sea, and is affiliated to the General Authority of Red Sea Ports. It is a natural bay two hundred and twenty-five miles south of Hurghada, with 57 square kilometres and a water area of 56.5 square kilometres. World II The Allied forces used the port.
At the same time, its closeness to Hurghada makes it possible to visit the nearby attractions located in this place. The following list provides an idea about these attractions:
- Abdulmoneim Riadh Mosque.
- El-Mina Grand Mosque.
- Church of St. Mary.
- Hurghada Marina Boulevard.
- Fish Market.
- Fruit Market.
- Marine Port.
- Giftun Islands.
- Hurghada Grand Aquarium.
- Jungle Aqua Park.
- Sand City.
- Mini Egypt.
- Hard Rock Café.
- Also, Little Buddha.
Mini Egypt Park
Mini Egypt Park offers a different experience compared to a traditional museum. It is a fantastic trip for our foreign guests, which works as a live catalogue for them to recognise the touristic attractions in Egypt, making it easier to choose where to go.
Dolphin World is the unique family entertainment and the most beloved Red Sea riviera. Watch in wonder the dolphins dance, sing, juggle, play ball, jump and even paint—an interactive show of these fantastic animals’ outstanding skills.
Safaga is famous for its coral reefs, islands and entertainment. Generally, many tourists visit it annually to enjoy snorkelling and diving. For the sake of the sea and sun, trips head from Safaga to various tourist destinations. Also, these trips go far to Cairo and Luxor. On the other hand, these trips arrive from Hurghada and Marsa Alam.
So, here is a comprehensive list of the activities and things to do in Safaga, Egypt. For your convenience, we have grouped these entries into the following five basic categories:
- History Related/Sightseeing in Safaga.
- Snorkelling in Safaga.
- Diving in Safaga.
- Sea Related Activities.
- Water Sports/Water-Related Activities.
- Also, Fun and Entertainment in Safaga.
History-Related and Sightseeing Activities in Safaga
Safaga locates 516 km from Cairo and 246 km from Luxor. This unique location makes it possible to do some history-related activities and sightseeing tours. Also, it enables tourists to visit the monuments and attractions in Luxor, Sohag, El-Minya, Qena, Aswan, Cairo, Giza, Alexandria and so on.
The following is a list of the activities tourists can choose. This list provides both the destination and the means of transportation you can use to get to the place:
- Individual Trip to Luxor from Hurghada.
- Excursion to Cairo-Giza from Hurghada.
- Individual Trip to El-Minya from Hurghada.
- Trip to Monastery of St. Anthony from Hurghada.
- Private Trip to Cairo from Hurghada by plane.
- Individual Trip to Abydos – Sohag from Hurghada.
- Excursion Luxor- Valley of the kings from Hurghada.
- Individual Trip to Abydos – Dendera from Hurghada.
- Two-Day Trip to Cairo from Hurghada – Old Cairo.
- Individual trip to Dendera – Luxor from Hurghada.
- Bus Trip to Cairo-Alexandria from Hurghada.
- Individual Excursion Cairo from Hurghada.
- Day Trip to Dendera – Luxor from Hurghada.
- Also, Trip Luxor – Valley of Queens by Bus from Hurghada.
Snorkelling Activities in Safaga
Snorkelling is a popular recreational activity in Egypt, particularly at the tropical resort of Safaga. It appeals to all ages because of the little effort needed. The primary appeal to this activity is the opportunity to observe underwater life in a natural setting without the complicated equipment and training required for scuba diving.
Please, read through the following list of the sea activities and trips in Safaga:
- Individual Trip to Sharm El-Naga from Hurghada.
- Excursion Super Utopia from Hurghada.
- Private Speedboat to Dolphin Bay from Hurghada.
- Sea trip to El-Gouna from Hurghada.
- Private Speedboat to Orange Bay in Hurghada.
- Excursion to Orange Bay in Hurghada.
- A fishing trip in Hurghada.
- Tour to Abu Dabab Beach from Hurghada.
- Boat trip to Mahmya Island-Beach from Hurghada.
- Excursion Super Gouna from Hurghada.
- Boat trip to the Dolphin House in Hurghada.
- Excursion to Giftun island in Hurghada.
- Also, Snorkeling trip to Paradise Island Beach in Hurghada.
Diving Activities in Safaga
Diving is one of Safaga’s popular sea activities. Therefore, it lets you fully explore and experience the exquisiteness of the Red Sea. Also, the city offers tourists several exciting options to do such an activity. These options vary widely in the destination they head to and the location they take place on. For example, diving can take place on the beach or in the open sea. On the other hand, divers practise it in various sea sites with a colourful marine world.
For more details about diving in the open sea, you can check the following activity:
Fishing is one of the satisfying hobbies and activities tourists practice in Safaga. This recreational sports activity is primarily for pleasure or competition purposes. Generally, The most common form of recreational fishing uses a rod, reel, line and hooks. It also uses various baits or lures, such as artificial flies. Angling is the practice of catching or attempting to catch fish with a theme.
In Safaga, the most familiar type of angling is the one that uses line and hook. While the one which uses rod and reel is more professionally; and comes in second place.
The following fishing activities you can enjoy in Safaga:
Sea-Related Activities in Safaga
Safaga offers tourists who enjoy watching coral reefs and fish without getting their feet into the water.
To get more details on these sea-related activities, discover the following options:
- Sea adventure on Sindbad Submarine in Hurghada.
- Also, Sea trip onboard a semi-submarine from Hurghada.
Water Sports Activities in Safaga
We focus on the type of water sports you can do on the sea. We classify the other types of water sports under different categories on our site.
Safaga offers a wide range of water sports to the tourists holidaying in. In general, tourists can enjoy this activity in all Safaga hotels. Parasailing is the most fun activity for tourists:
Desert Safari Activities
Desert Safari is one exciting activity you should add to your plan list if you stay in Safaga. This safari activity combines all the fun and adventures you can enjoy in the desert. Desert safari trips range widely from simple camel rides to buggy driving. Hurghada offers some safari activities, e.g. camel riding, horse riding, quad biking, jeep riding, and buggy.
The following types of desert safari activities you can enjoy while holidaying in Safaga:
Horse Riding Activities in Safaga
Horse riding is a favourite sport and activity in Safaga. For pleasure, the city offers you two options for horse riding. Equally, it provides this recreational activity in two environments: seaside and desert. These two options vary according to the location where you can do the horse riding. Some tourists prefer to practise this sport by the sea and ride a horse in the ocean itself. However, other tourists like to enjoy that sport in a land environment – the desert.
If you like to enjoy horse riding in Hurghada, you can check the following activity:
City Touring Activities in Safaga
The city tour is an activity of discovering the attractions and places around you. Indeed, tourists can do such an enjoyable activity in Safaga. This resort offers you many attractions and places to visit. These attractions are all of the modern styles.
Generally, city tours head to the most famous attractions in Hurghada. These attractions are the marine platforms, the old marine port, the Coptic Church, and Muslim mosques. Also, these city tours get to the fruit and the fish markets.
The following are the city touring activities you can do starting from Safaga:
Beauty and Wellness Activities
Safaga offers excellent solutions to all those who want to take care of their health. Of course, there are some spas in this city where tourists can enjoy body care procedures for fortune. The following link will guide you to one of them:
Entertainment and Fun Activities in Safaga
Safaga is a fun city. Indeed, this city has many entertainment activities to provide for you. Of course, you can find several aqua parks, aquariums, dolphinariums, and other places to see. The following is one of the best solutions Safaga offers:
The following is a sample of the activities you can enjoy while holidaying in Safaga: